Monday, January 2, 2012

Coming Back Down

Well, I got my briefing call last night, and I'm going back on duty sooner than I expected by a day or two.

The only tradeoff is the RV point.  We were hoping for a run to MA for John to pick me up, but as luck would have it he's about to head south.  So it was either wait who the hell knows how long until another run comes up north, or find a way to get my ass to Columbia, NJ within (what was then) 18 hours.

Now I'm riding with further proof that I have the best parents of all time, dad is driving me down with all my stuff and uncle Dennis is tagging along for the ride  Apparently most full time jobs (especially the government kind) get the day AFTER every holiday off.  May be common knowledge for most people but remember I'm coming from a 7 year part time job at a business that is open 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, 362 days a year.  Weekends and holidays are a foreign concept to me in the working world.  Point is a lot of parents would be rather reluctant to drive 300 miles each way so their 23 year old son can go to work.

It's just like when the three of us in August of '09 driving me back from Tempe.  Pics from that run are on the Past Road Trips page.

Heading on down to the Carolinas after the RV point, going to be a hell of a treat to see some unfamiliar highways.  Who knows when I'll get out to Gary again but so far its shaping up to be an interesting start to the year.

Further incentive is that I left my red and black polyester Hawaiian shirt in the truck before I disembarked.  For those of you who know me are probably aware thats my favorite shirt in the closet.  I'll go as far as it takes.


2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the whole ride today with two of the BEST would not have it any other way.That's Family. Thanks John for RV ing with Matti.Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for family road trips!!-Sara

    ReplyDelete