Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Independence, Missouri. a.k.a. Gotham City

Today is certainly worth blogging about.  I picked up this run from a cave. 

Well, the truckPC directions said "park to the area right of entrance and call before entering cave."
Cave?  Is that like a technical term for some kind of warehouse?  Like they call some permanent weigh stations Hen Houses?  When I got to the address I found out-  though I had passed a few other rocky cliffs on the side of the highway that had garage doors and "Space For Lease" signs on them.  Don't see that every day.

Come to find out, the area around Independence is littered with old limestone mines, this one is owned by a real estate company that rents space to over a hundred organizations and individuals.  There were dozens of trucks coming and going all the time, most were day cabs but a few were condos like myself. 

Luckily the place I was going was off the main trunk and not very busy.  That didn't change the fact that I still had to pull past, and BACK down the branch about 200 yards and then another 90° into the dock.  All the while dodging the natural pillars, barricades, employees cars, and the mailman that rides around on a vespa to all the offices.  Also in less than perfect light conditions.

All in all, it took almost 2 hours from when I sent the arrival call to when my bumper hit the dock.  2/3 of it was doing ridiculous maneuvers but it still took a LONG time to navigate to the section I had to go.  It was weird driving down a straight part then all of a sudden a tractor trailer just POPS out of this alcove like it was invisible.  Needless to say I had another perfect opportunity to use my strobe beacons, which was good because the UPS and Fed Ex guys in their box trucks fly around there like they own the place.

I should send these pics up to RDTC so they can show the rookies how good they have it practicing under blue sunny skies on 200 acres in the middle of a corn field with a few cones and barrels.

I can't help but wonder if this was random or not.  Its no secret that backing in anything other than a straight line has been my biggest weakness since day 1 in Marshfield.  I'm getting better by the day, though.

And after this I drove out into the sunlight feeling like I could put a trailer anywhere, as long as the tandems were all the way forward. 

And I wasn't wearing hockey pads.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Matti: Nice cave would almost remind me of the ones Granpy and I crawled thru. Anyways meant to tell u I like the color and make of your 'home'. Good luck and safe driving with her. I don't get to check in on you every day, try to catch up at least once a week. All is well back here. No snow to speak of. Today it was mid 40s, will take that anytime. Love Nana B.

    ReplyDelete