Thursday, January 5, 2012

Even the funeral homes look like plantation houses

The dandruff of the swamps of South Carolina?  Oh wait, thats just cotton.  Can't say I've ever seen a cotton field in person, even after harvesting the stuff is everywhere like wayward trash from a landfill. 

Another first today was seeing a regional grocery distro center in action.  Seeing the link before me in the supply chain is pretty cool to finally witness but the massive size really struck me as something amazing.  So many people, so many power tools, all moving so fast it was like being inside a beehive.  It was a 2 hour wait to get us unloaded but when they finally got done it turns out our next shipment pickup was only an hour away here in Colombia.

Luckily in doing all this southward movement made for a nice change in the air.  It was in the 50's all day wherever we stopped, which was pretty boss getting away from the freeze back home.  Also we drove alongside all the snowbirds going back down, I saw every plate from Virginia to Quebec heading south today.  A million and one RVs and a whole mess of cars packed like its college move-in season.

This next one has almost 500 miles to move tomorrow which may not seem like much but it won't be ready straight out.  Really we only have 11 hours until its due.  We can't curise at 70 like most people down here so trust me, this is going to be the tightest time frame I've worked yet.  Also we're at a shipper that makes significantly different goods than I've handled so far.  Such differences that I expect to make it tricky to head over the Southern Appalachian. 

The biggest drawback for me is that means no chance of a shower break tomorrow.  I said before this is going to take time to get used to, but once I call my own shots I'm MAKING time. 

Shower party hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment